Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the very promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their professions. The fellowships will also be designed to secure a way to obtain very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal government and organizations.
Will you be qualified to receive a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date associated with 12 months by which you use, you have to:
- be A canadian resident or perhaps a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to put on a doctorate in another of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- It is possible to use just once into the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit only 1 application per 12 months to a single granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or even the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You must certainly not have previously gotten an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You need to have finished all demands of one’s degree that is doctoral no than couple of years prior to the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but rather the date upon which all of the needs of the level had been met, like the defence that is successful distribution of this corrected copy of one’s thesis. For candidates with over one doctoral level, the conclusion date of one’s most recent doctoral level will soon be utilized to ascertain your eligibility.
- When you have obtained at the least 6 months of full-time appropriate work in industry or federal government (expertise in an organization or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories will never be considered) once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of completion of the PhD, you’d your job dramatically interrupted because of disease or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- When you yourself have completed a non-research based medical residency system when you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within couple of years after the date of completion of one’s PhD, you’d your job somewhat interrupted as a result of parental, medical and/or family-related duties, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you then become the main caregiver after the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- If you’re at the mercy of a prolonged eligibility duration, then you can be expected by NSERC to give extra information and/or supporting documents. Any submission that is such NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility into the program. If you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which will have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, you might achieve this when you look at the Special Circumstances part of the application form.
Where are you able to hold your fellowship?
You can easily hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other appropriate research laboratories in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You simply cannot hold a PDF in Canadian federal government laboratories or in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to definitely undertake research which involves collaboration along with other organizations that are canadian. The character regarding the collaboration that is proposed be appropriate into the host institution.
- You’ll hold a PDF abroad as long as you have got gotten your doctorate from the institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of various research environments. You aren’t allowed to keep your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories) for which you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you might request an exclusion which is considered by the choice committee. The demand should be predicated on medical reasons (for instance, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (for instance, a partner’s profession) or medical reasons (as an example, option of specific equipment), which can make it very difficult for you yourself to keep a specific organization. Even in the event your exception is awarded, you aren’t allowed to be supervised by your PhD supervisor. You will be motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn’t approved.
- You might perhaps not contain the PDF along with your PhD supervisor, whether or not your manager modifications research institutions.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You might want to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or a proper expert for advice.
How can you apply?
It is possible to make an application for a PDF by finishing and publishing Form 201, connecting supporting documents if required. See the guidelines about how to finish Form 201.
NSERC must get the job electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications may be refused.
Apart from individual contact information, NSERC will maybe not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the job after it was submitted. Individual contact information may be updated by giving a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in line with the selection requirements described when you look at the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs. Observe that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing priority that is award meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a female, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are arranged based on the after broad control groups:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Development and ecology
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see a number of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application will figure out the choice committee when the application will soon be examined. NSERC may assign the application form up to a various committee if it determines that the topic matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard from the probability of unconscious bias affecting the process that is decision-making whether these biases derive from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, particular sub-disciplines, regions of research or approaches (including appearing people), size or standing of an institution, age, gender and/or other individual facets for the applicant.
NSERC is functioning on the data that equity, diversity and addition bolster the systematic and engineering communities in addition to quality, social relevance and effect of research. Applicants should reference concerns 5 to 7 into the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and addition in the application to learn more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Candidates must also read the guidelines for doing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are assessed and chosen in accordance with:
- Analysis capability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, interpersonal and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will alert all candidates of this outcomes because of the end of January thai brides at brightbrides.net. NSERC will maybe not offer outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (as well as other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To learn more, begin to see the usage of Suggestions Act while the Privacy Act.
Conditions associated with the honor
Make reference to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the honor, such as for instance acceptance, start date, deferment, paid parental leave, keeping the honor for a part-time foundation, etc.